Type: Part-time, 1 Year Contract Role: ~15 hrs/week (9/2022 – 8/2023)
Salary Range: $30-50/hour (commensurate with experience)
Reports to: Executive Director
Application Deadline: Rolling and actively interviewing, until August 17th, 2022.
The Video Consortium, a nonprofit media organization that connects and supports nonfiction filmmakers and video journalists around the world, is thrilled to present a soon-to-be-announced Filmmaking Initiative, supported by the Skoll Foundation, that supports nonfiction filmmakers in the Global South to tell solutions-focused stories from and within their own communities. The 2022-2023 Initiative, taking place in Sub Saharan Africa, will pair each selected filmmaker with a local social impact organization to produce a compelling short documentary film a) that amplifies the nonprofit’s impact and mission, and b) that the filmmaker can use as portfolio material to fuel a successful impact-driven filmmaking career. Filmmakers will also receive tailored support through mentorship, practical resources, gear, and deep industry connections.
We are looking for a seasoned Program Manager to oversee, produce, and manage this exciting program, from early September, 2022 through August, 2023. Working in collaboration with the Video Consortium’s executive director, as well as with the Foundation’s program lead, the Program Manager will creatively oversee all aspects of the program, from nurturing our cohort of filmmakers and helping to guide their relationships with the nonprofits they’re paired with, to overseeing the production of short films, to developing on-the-ground relationships with local community partners, and beyond.
This is an excellent opportunity for a skilled senior producer who has worked with international clientele, in branded/creative and/or nonprofit nonfiction filmmaking. This person will have ample room to grow, get creative, and innovate; they will lead the development of robust infrastructure that will make this new program an extremely special, rewarding, and game-changing experience for all who participate.
- Program Management: while working collaboratively with the Video Consortium’s executive director, oversee the development of this program from start to finish:
- Track filmmaker applications and coordinate with VC’s Advisory Council to choose the final cohort
- Create a robust calendar of events and manage/lead zoom sessions, coordinate master classes, etc, and send invites to those who need to attend.
- Manage some gear shipments
- Do regular check ins/send surveys to involved program participants, review responses, and tweak the program in real time to meet filmmaker needs
- Manage and track program budget
- Program Design + Learning Development:
- Work with VC’s ED to develop master classes and resources for filmmakers to use, while drawing on the expertise of VC’s global network of working filmmakers to gather great speakers and templates (budgeting, interview questions, etc etc) for filmmakers to learn from.
- Client/Relationship Management:
- Manage client relationships between Lab filmmakers and the nonprofits they’re paired with, ensuring production is on track and that communication is clear and smooth.
- Oversee rough cuts, give notes when needed, and engage additional post-production resources as needed (relationships already in place) if needed to help filmmakers hone their films.
- Filmmaker Development:
- Develop a warm rapport with the program’s filmmakers and nonprofits, staying in regular contact with both parties and assisting/guiding when needed.
- 5+ years industry experience in branded/ad impact-driven storytelling or documentary filmmaking
- Familiarity with African media production; experience working in East and/or West African nations preferred
- Proven track record of robust program management, producer experience in managing budgets/crews
- Familiarity with production equipment and pre-production, production, and post-production processes.
- An outgoing and affable nature: comfort with leading conversations, speaking with and managing clients
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
- Punctual and persistent (email follow-up, etc)
- Experienced in budget management and tracking
- Extremely type-A and organized, excited about lists, with a proactive and independent work ethic and a go-the-extra-mile attitude
- Excited to develop new things, blaze trails, and make an impact on an international level while connecting those in nearby locations to forge deep relationships
- Collaborative, with a sense of joy and mission to use media to affect positive social change
- An expansive view of diverse cultures and people, and a yearning to democratize the media industry for all
About the Video Consortium:
The Video Consortium is a global nonprofit media organization that connects the world’s nonfiction filmmakers and visual journalists to tell bold stories that catalyze positive change. By and for filmmakers, our global and regional programs democratize the media landscape, foster compassionate storytelling, support creative growth, and inspire audiences worldwide.
Our mission is to connect the world’s nonfiction filmmakers and visual journalists — the people who tell our stories and inspire change in our communities through rigorous reporting and visual craft. We envision an inclusive media ecosystem in which reporting teams reflect communities, fair pay is the norm, and creators are holistically equipped to tell today’s most pressing stories.
About the Skoll Foundation:
The Skoll Foundation supports organizations tackling interconnected problems and advancing solutions from every angle—from disrupting unjust power dynamics and systems, changing attitudes and behaviors, and mobilizing movements, to improving services, policies, and practices. The Foundation focuses on problems and places that are ripe for change, with high potential for major impact.