Region: East Africa Office: Nairobi Hours: To be determined Application deadline: May 7, 2021
Hivos is an international development organization guided by humanist values. Together with citizens and their organizations, it aims to contribute towards just, inclusive and life sustaining societies where people have equal access to opportunities, rights and resources. It works in partnership with others in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America on three impact areas: civic rights; gender equality, diversity and inclusion, and climate justice. Hivos’ approach is solution driven, and it builds wider movements for change by amplifying and connecting voices.
About Resource of Open Minds (R.O.O.M) Program
Hivos is continuing with its long history of support to artists and makers through the Resource Of Open Minds (R.O.O.M) program. R.O.O.M seeks to deploy creative forces in the defense of civic space through supporting a new generation of makers to produce critical content. Critical content in the context of R.O.O.M means creative content that counters hegemonic narratives in society hence generating dialogue, debate, and dissent across different socio-political issues.
Background of consultancy
R.O.O.M seeks the following outcomes:
- Makers become more self-sufficient
- Makers are more independent.
- Makers produce more critical content
- Makers reach wider audiences
- Creative hubs have increased capacity to facilitate audio-visual productions.
As such, the delivery of the current assignment is to help the creatives achieve outcome 3 since access to archived material will complement already on going production of critical content across social, political, and economic themes.
The current cohort of R.O.O.M partners works on critical content across the following medium: online radio programming, podcasts, music production, documentary films, data artistry, puppetry and animation, film, fashion, literature, and infomercials. They then promote their content on digital platforms like social media channels and their organizational websites.
R.O.O.M would now like to improve artists access to archives and also support the work of National archive institutions as a way of improving criticality in the region amongst creatives.
Going by the above, this is assignment involves the following:
- The researcher to conduct an exploratory study on the present state of National Archive institutions in Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania detailing some of the existing resources that could be of use to creatives.
- The researcher developing a tool kit/set of resources on how creatives can better utilize the existing archives for the work and how they can develop their organizational archives. This can be separate or incorporated in the report.
- The researcher to conduct 1 day workshop on how creatives can utilize the tools/resources developed.