OPPORTUNITY FOR INTERNSHIP AT INFORMATION LTD
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR INTERNSHIP POSITION
InformAction (IFA) is a not-for-profit human rights and social justice organization that uses film and community discussions to get ordinary people to speak out on their shared concerns and take action for responsibility and accountability by public officials. IFA operates through mobile field teams – using a car, screen, projector and camera – to show films to thousands of ordinary people throughout Kenya every week and facilitate discussion on the relevance of the issues in the films. Experienced activists and facilitators lead community discussions on human rights, social justice and governance, while video journalists film the discussions and continuously record people’s experiences on human rights, social justice and public governance dynamics.
IFA’s core principle is that sustainable, progressive, democratic change requires an informed citizenry empowered to speak truth to power. It catalyzes ordinary people to hold peaceful actions to demand accountability and change. By screening films in the regions and holding dynamic community discussions, IFA encourages diverse opinions within communities, and cross-community empathy and understanding.
Since its founding in 2010 InformAction has empowered hundreds of thousands of Kenyans in rural and marginalized areas, profiling the demands for change through innovative media and action. It has focused on human rights, impunity, governance, and justice for victims of political violence.
The Vision of IFA is an informed and empowered society that speaks truth to power and demands accountability and social justice and its Mission is to inform and empower communities in Kenya in order to catalyze public debate and action for a just and accountable society.
InformAction now seeks to recruit an intern to join its Administration and Human Resources Management and Development team in the Nairobi Base. The key functions of this position are:
- Support the IFA Administrator in the implementation of administrative and human resources management policies, procedures and decisions
- Work with the Administrator on ensuring the organization’s conformity to and compliance with all statutory obligations and requirements relating to administration and human resources management
- Work closely with the organization’s senior management and field team leaders to continuously assess and appropriately respond to needs for office equipment, facilities, supplies and utilities
- Work closely with the Executive Director on developing and executing an organization-wide internal communication strategy
- Work closely with the Executive Director on communication of executive and management decisions, follow-up on implementation and feedback
- Work closely with the Executive Director on generating and drafting policy and position documents on various organizational and external issues
- Work closely with the Executive Director on ensuring effective execution of work place safety and security policies, procedures and practices
The suitable candidate must have and demonstrate the following as a minimum;
- Be a Kenyan citizen, resident in Nairobi or prepared to be resident in Nairobi during the period of internship;
- Be a first degree graduate in any of the following areas of university study: Political Science, Public Administration, History, Philosophy, Sociology, Anthropology, Communication, Journalism and Media Studies, Creative and Performing Arts, or Law;
- Should have graduated (first degree) within the period starting March 2017 and ending March 2019
- MUST be desirous of, focused on and committed to pursuing civic activism, defense and promotion of human rights, social justice and accountable public governance in the context of public benefit or civil society sector;
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and as a tolerant and patient team player;
- Demonstrate well developed written and oral communication skills, as well as negotiation and representation skills, with ability to communicate clearly and sensitively with staff and external stakeholders;
- Be resilient, flexible and adaptable to an ever changing work environment and situations, able to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including high security risks;
- Demonstrate awareness and sensitivity to diversity at the workplace and ability to work in diverse cultural contexts appropriately;
- Must be well planned and organized especially in a flexible working environment and have capacity for initiative and decision making with analytical and problem solving skills;
- Must be emotionally mature;
- A good knowledge of financial management and accounting procedures will be an added advantage.
This is not a paid position. InformAction will however offer a monthly stipend limited to the successful candidate’s reasonable public transport commuting expenses. The successful candidate must be willing to commit to a six (6) months’ internship tenure.
If you are interested in this opportunity and you meet the above qualifications, please send an email with your CV with 3 referees, and a cover letter latest by the 29th of March 2019 to email@example.com