Location TBD within East Africa
Start date: as soon as possible
Background: GiveDirectly is driving a re-evaluation of the assumptions underlying international philanthropy with a provocative model: we deliver donations directly to the extreme poor and let them decide what to do with them. This approach builds on two converging trends: the rapid spread of electronic last-mile payments solutions in the emerging markets, and the large body of experimental evidence showing that direct transfers are as or more cost-effective at reducing poverty than more traditional, top-down approaches.
Overview: The Field Director is a key managerial role in GiveDirectly’s field operation, with significant responsibility to recruit and manage a large team and deliver millions of dollars to poor households annually. In certain cases, Field Directors help to drive GiveDirectly’s function as a laboratory for innovation in cash transfer (CT) delivery, by advancing projects aimed at addressing key policy and design questions (do CTs generate impact where market access is limited? how can CTs be delivered in settings with no payments infrastructure?). The role rewards exceptional instincts on team management, a highly autonomous work style, and the ability to apply creative solutions to challenging operational questions.
Design and set-up. Assist with design and set-up phase of special projects
- Conducting desk/field-based recon to establish operational feasibility & view on main design features
- Inputting on design of initial pilot and assisting with set-up (e.g. gov’t permission, initial workplan etc)
Field Management. Deliver $5-10M per year to the extreme poor.
- Managing all aspects of ground operations, including hiring, training and managing a team of 30+ field staff at a time
- Owning quantifiable targets like operational efficiency
- Building relationships with government and other stakeholders
Other. Provide leadership across a number of other areas.
- Assisting with implementation of research/academic partnerships on the ground
- Supporting outreach and communications effort
- Assisting with synthesis of key results, including recommendations for operational model/broader sector
- Demonstrated success in a high-performance work environment
- Strong interest in advancing the values and mission of GiveDirectly
- Exceptional communication, organizational, and analytical skills
- Ability to approach tasks with resourcefulness and to work in a highly self-directed manner
- Ability to manage day-to-day operations while simultaneously building more robust, efficient systems
- Experience and high comfort-level working in developing-country or high-risk settings
GiveDirectly’s field operations utilize state-of-the-art technology and business processes to deliver transfers securely, efficiently, and transparently. Our unorthodox approach – allowing the poor, and not the donor, to choose where they invest – has prompted debate in the popular press and among policy makers. GiveDirectly has been featured on NPR’s This American Life, and in Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and The New York Times. It was named one of the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by FastCompany, one of the 25 Most Audacious Companies by Inc., and one of GiveWell’s top-rated charities for 4 years running.