Closing date: 07 Mar 2019
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. [More info below.]
Program / Department Summary
The Media Relations team is a small but dynamic group of professionals dedicated to getting the word out about Mercy Corps’ outstanding work to help people around the world survive through crisis, build better lives and transform their communities for good. The team strives to raise Mercy Corps’ public profile by working with international press and supports the agency’s fundraising and advocacy efforts.
General Position Summary
The Communication and Media Manager supports the global Media Relations team and Africa regional leadership team in articulating programmatic impact in our communities to advance profile-raising, advocacy and fundraising goals. S/he will actively enhance and grow Mercy Corps media network in Africa and elevate our reputation as a reference point for an informed and meaningful voice on key issues in the region. S/he will work on improving internal communications within the region to further accent achievements of the greater team. The Communication and Media Manager reports to the Communications Director and works in close partnership with the Regional Team and Country Directors.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
- In coordination with the Regional Team and the Global Media Relations team, develop and implement Africa communications and media engagement in line with the global Mercy Corps communications strategy.
- Contribute to the analysis of topics and events relevant to Mercy Corps’ work in Africa.
- Serve as the primary point person for all queries related to the Mercy Corps brand in the Africa and work in close collaboration with the Global Brand team to ensure brand efforts are in line with the wider global brand strategy.
Media and Communications Management
- Serve as a point person for media queries for Mercy Corps Africa in coordination with the assigned Global Media Leads on various issues and serve as a spokesperson when required.
- Identify media trends that could constitute an opportunity or a threat for Mercy Corps.
- Develop and implement media outreach plans; coordinate with fundraisers, brand marketing and web content experts to align storytelling and maximize value of outreach.
- Deploy to countries across the continent when needed to research stories, conduct media outreach, and gather stories, photo and video content.
- Attend internal and external communication and media meetings and events.
- Strengthen and expand Mercy Corps’ network of Africa contacts in traditional and social media domains, in coordination with global efforts.
- Initiate and/or support the production of communication and media materials for Africa, including talking points, news releases, contributed pieces and fact sheets.
- Actively work with Country Directors and teams on content gathering based on data analysis and learning generated from programs.
- Support Country Directors and teams in content review for public outreach material.
- Support the global team in content and information gathering for multiple purposes, including media engagement, advocacy and fundraising.
- Serve as an active member of any regional crisis and response planning and action.
- Assist global communications team with other duties (backfill) as needed.
- Assist country-level communications members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.