United States International University-Africa (USIU-Africa) has partnered with the Mastercard Foundation in its global Scholars Program. This initiative will offer academically talented youth from Africa facing financial, gender, displacement, or disability constraints an opportunity to access world class university education.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at USIU-Africa will provide full-cost scholarships to young Africans who are first-time undergraduate degree-seeking applicants. By completion of their studies, scholars will be required to lead changes in their communities and contribute to meaningful transformation across the continent, having been equipped with internationally recognized and locally applicable qualifications.
- Only not exceeding 29 years old in the following categories qualify:
- Young women
- Refugees and displaced youth
- Youth with disabilities.
- Scholars must demonstrate the following qualities:
- Academic talent: They must value learning and have a personal motivation to complete their education. Must meet the university admissions requirement as per the Kenya Commission for University Education or its equivalent.
- Commitment to giving back: Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to improving their communities through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities.
- Leadership potential: Scholars must show commitment to becoming change makers, role models and mentors who embrace ethical leadership.
- Must be interested in, and meet USIU-Africa’s admissions criteria and academic qualifications to undertake, any of the approved 11 undergraduate degree programs for the Scholars Program at USIU-Africa as follows:
- School of Science and Technology (SST) – Bachelor of Science in Applied Computer Technology, Bachelor of Science in Information Systems and Technology;
- School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (SPHS)-Bachelor of Pharmacy, Bachelor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics;
- School of Communication, Cinematic and Creative Arts (SCCCA) – Bachelor of Arts in Animation, Bachelor of Arts in Film Production and Directing;
- Chandaria School of Business (CSB)- Bachelor of Science in Finance, Bachelor of Science in International Business Administration and Bachelor of Science in Accounting;
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences (SHSS) -Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and Bachelor of Arts in Psychology)
More information about the above highlighted degree programs can be found at the university website: undergraduate-programs/
- Interested applicants can download the application forms from Here or pick the forms from the Admissions Office, located in the Main Administration building at USIU-Africa at no cost.
- Submit completed application forms by email as an attachment, ensuring that the scanned copy of the scholarship application form and all the required documents are clearly legible and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org or drop your application at at Admissions Office, located in the Main Administration building at USIU- Africa, or post your application to:
Program Director, Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, USIU-Africa, P.O. Box 14634 – 00800, Nairobi
Any queries can be directed through e-mail at email@example.com or phone +254730 116 218 or in person
APPLICANTS ARE ADVISED TO SEND ONLY ONE COMPLETE APPLICATION. DUPLICATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE REJECTED. PLEASE NOTE THAT CANVASING WILL LEAD TO AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION.
Benefits of joining the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program:
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars at USIU-Africa will receive holistic support which includes:
a) Tuition and functional fees;
b) Laptops, books and other learning materials;
c) Reasonable accommodation and meals;
d) Medical insurance;
f) Transport to and from home;
g) Access to leadership training;
h) Access to entrepreneurial training;
i) Psycho-social support, career counselling and mentorship;
j) Disability needs will be reasonably catered for.
Important dates and deadlines:
a) Release of call for applications –Thursday, March 11, 2021
Application Deadline- Friday, March 26, 2021
b) Review of applications –Thursday April 1 to Friday, April 30 2021
c) Communication to shortlisted Candidates-Monday, May 3to Friday, May 7, 2021-if you do not hear from us by this date, please consider your application not successful
––Monday, May 10 to Friday, May 15, 2021
e) Communication to Successful Candidates- Thursday, May 20 to Saturday, May 22, 2021
f) Home Visits- Tuesday, June 1 to Friday, June 30, 2021
g) Travel preparation, assistance for passport, visa and flight tickets application for international students- Thursday, July 1 to Friday, August 6 2021
h) Reporting for Pre-Orientation- Sunday, August 15,2021
i) Scholars Pre-University Orientation- Monday, August 16 to Friday, August 27, 2021
j) University wide orientation- Monday, August 30 –Friday, September 3, 2021