Micro-grants from Baraza Media Lab. (Watch for details?)
In response to COVID-19, Baraza will use some of the funds set aside for physical events to receive and review applications resulting in micro-grants being provided to local media practitioners while ensuring diversity in the recipients of the funds. The project aims to support activities including but not limited to:-
- Grassroot coverage of the COVID-19 crisis and its impact on the broader community; elevate the voices and needs of the most vulnerable and marginalized
- Innovative initiatives that contribute to the dissemination of and safe access to quality information related to the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Fact-checking work that tracks or combats rumours and misinformation
- Light-hearted, fun pieces that will inspire and uplift creative spirits in the context of the pandemic
- Content designed to reach audiences in any medium: print, audio, video and social media
This project will test this support mechanism, measure its impact and document learnings that will be crucial as Baraza looks to provide similar, responsive support to Kenyan media practitioners.