Reporting to the executive director, the communications coordinator will oversee the Sentinel Project’s social media platforms, website updates, newsletters, blog posts, and media outreach. LINK
As a small organization, the Sentinel Project has spent its first decade building programs in Kenya, Myanmar, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan. During that time, communications work has largely been the responsibility of volunteers or team members who have other primary responsibilities. The Sentinel Project is now working to expand both its activities and geographical coverage, which means that it needs a committed communications coordinator to actively work on outreach and provide a sustained voice for the organization.
The communications coordinator position will require a total of approximately ten hours per week for content creation, social media engagement, and collaboration with other members of the Sentinel Project team. This is a contract position.
- Coordinate communications strategy with members of the Sentinel Project team
- Create and manage a real-time, collaborative editorial calendar
- Write social media posts, blog posts, press releases, and other content for the Sentinel Project website and social media channels
- Create and send a monthly newsletter to the organization’s existing subscriber base, which will involve drafting some content as well as editing content from contributors across the organization
- Regularly engage the organization’s audience and community, particularly on social media, and track impact
- Manage occasional media outreach efforts and pitch story ideas to reporters when appropriate
- Caring about helping people in conflict areas to defuse conflicts and prevent violence
- Strong written communication skills, as demonstrated in your cover letter and links to samples of past work
- Experience with creating and editing content in WordPress, Mailchimp, and other online publishing platforms
- Comfort with using Google Apps, especially Google Drive / Docs, for online collaboration with a largely virtual team
- Proficiency at using social media platforms in a professional capacity to engage and sustain an audience, preferably to include experience with social media analytics
- Ability to manage workflows using databases, spreadsheets, task management tools, and other similar technologies
- 2+ years of supporting communications efforts in either the for-profit or non-profit sector
- Experience working with non-profit organizations, especially in a fundraising capacity, is appreciated but not required
Formed in 2008, the Sentinel Project is a small, global, non-profit organization dedicated to assisting communities threatened by mass atrocities through direct cooperation with the people in harm’s way and the innovative use of technology. Our team focuses on initiatives such as building networks to stop the spread of harmful misinformation that contributes to conflict and to warn people about violence if it does happen. We are a diverse group of people who are passionate about human rights and the ways that communications technology can improve lives. If you join our team, you will be part of an emerging approach to atrocity prevention and peacebuilding and will contribute to a meaningful cause within a rapidly growing organization.
The Sentinel Project is grateful to all applicants for their interest in our organization, though if you don’t hear from us within 30 days of applying you can assume that this position has been filled. Although only those applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted, if you don’t hear from us right away we may still be keeping you in mind for future opportunities with our team. Our needs change constantly.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- An updated resume or LinkedIn URL
- A cover letter explaining how your background and expertise will ensure that you will excel in this role (include hourly wage expectations)
- Links to articles, blog posts, social media posts, and other written materials that you’ve authored