Deadline Friday, 24/01/2020 (24 January)
What does the Environmental Justice (EJ) Fellowship offer?
The EJ Legal Fellowship offers an exciting opportunity to young, up and coming Kenyan legal professionals who are passionate about supporting communities in securing rights to their lands, resources and knowledge. The legal fellows will be introduced to a broad spectrum of issues within environmental and human rights law and provided hands on experience and training in research, legal empowerment, data collection and analysis, public interest litigation, analysis on laws and regulations, and advocacy. Over the duration of the Legal Fellowship, the fellows will have the opportunity to spend time and work directly with communities, community-based organizations and community paralegals. At the completion of the Legal Fellowship, each fellow will submit a research report on a topic of interest within the environmental justice area.
The Legal Fellowship will provide the successful applicants a stronger understanding of/in:
- The principles of environmental and human rights law and citizenry participation in environmental decision-making
- The realities of communities facing environmental injustices
- Community-centred legal empowerment methodologies
- The environmental decision-making processes of key institutions and bodies, such as the National Environmental Management Authority, Water Resources Authority, Kenya Wildlife Service, Kenya Forest Service and county governments
- Analysing and evaluating environmental and human rights laws, regulations and policies
- Analysing and commenting on environmental impact assessments (EIA), environmental audits and strategic impact assessments (SEA)
- Environmental justice litigation
- Evidenced based environmental justice advocacy and research
- The civil society organizations and individuals in Kenya working towards environmental justice
One of the Legal Fellows will be based in Isiolo and two others in Nairobi. The Legal Fellowship will be for a period of up to 10 months full time. A modest salary will be offered. The successful applicants will be required to begin immediately. Candidates from Isiolo County are encouraged to apply for the Legal Fellowship in Isiolo.