Job Opportunity: ICCROM Paid Internship
Young Professional to support Africa Programme “Changing the Face of Heritage and Conservation in Africa” (Paid internship)
Date and duration: as soon as May 2019, and until 31 December 2019 (6-8 months)
The International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property (ICCROM) is an intergovernmental agency which receives its funding from 136 Member States as well as private foundations, corporations and individuals. ICCROM deals with cultural heritage conservation issues, including World Heritage, disaster risk management, sustainable development, and integrated approaches to conservation of cultural and natural heritage. ICCROM usesits unparalleled global network in training and other technical cooperation programmes worldwide.
Over the past 30 years, ICCROM has designed and implemented pioneering programmes for heritage conservation for museums and sites in Africa. ICCROM Strategy 2018-2023 sets ambitious targets for further expanding ICCROM’s role in Africa through training, research and policy formulation. This will entail implementation and delivery of practical conservation training and technical cooperation projects in partnerships with African institutions, UNESCO and others.
In the context of these specific goals, ICCROM offers an internship for the Africa Programme who will assist the program manager in the development of fresh approaches, bringing innovation to ICCROM’s involvement in the conservation of the heritage in Africa. The critical area for focus is how conservation of African cultural heritage can incorporate ideas emerging from the UN (Agenda 2030) and the African Union (Agenda 2063 “The Africa we want”). The program will focus on the current trends- in particular, economic growth, employment opportunities and social cohesion
The intern will bring the youth perspective and relevant skills in supporting successful strategy design and planning, and will also possess a good understanding of cultural heritage issues in Africa. S/he will be a creative collaborator in the design of the strategy and high-impact projects and initiatives.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the authority and the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Africa Programme Intern will contribute to designing the new ICCROM strategy for Africa, ensuring alignment of the strategy with the various programme and partnership development efforts. S/He will also assist spearhead innovative initiatives to deepen public and private donor engagement and leverage existing and new resources for maximum impact in Africa.
More specifically, the Africa Programme Intern will:
- Undertake background research and collection of baseline data relevant to the various activities proposed
- Assist with liaison with implementation partners to produce the final detailed concept notes for the proposed activities
- Assist closely resource mobilization and fundraising matters, preparing donor’s profiles, following up on contact established by the Director General and the Resource Mobilization officer, preparing the information requested by donors and any other tasks aimed at achieving programme-specific fundraising goals;
- Assist in drafting presentation materials on the Programme for ICCROM delivery at key events, meetings and other external fora;
- Ensure that all writing produced is technically and intellectually sound, clear and objective in accordance with high standards of quality and in line with the Organization’s mandate and vision;
- Perform other tasks as required.
- Be a national of an African Member-State of ICCROM
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in any field relevant to the mission and work of ICCROM
- Technical experience and demonstrated research and writing skills
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Have an excellent command of English, both written and verbal, preferred also with fluency in French
- Be under the age of 35 by the closing of the application period
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities
Please send your application consisting of a brief statement (explaining your vision, skills and relevance for this project) and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org