International Conference on Terrorism and Violent Extremism – CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
Theme: Changing Dynamics of Terrorism and Violent Extremism in Africa: Towards Effective Prevention and Counter Terrorism Strategies
HORN International Institute for Strategic Studies (hereafter, the HORN Institute) invites researchers and practitioners to submit abstracts for presentation at the international conference on terrorism and violent extremism on the theme, Changing Dynamics of Terrorism and Violent Extremism in Africa: Towards Effective Prevention and Counter Terrorism Strategies that will be held in Nairobi (Kenya), 24 -26 April 2018.
First Call for abstracts opens: 9 January 2018
Deadline for submission of abstracts: 5 February 2018
Criteria for submission of abstracts.
The abstracts should cover one of the following topics:
- Preventing and countering violent extremism
- Radicalization and de-radicalization
- Globalization of terrorism
- Political and religious extremism
- Conflict dynamics in the Gulf & wider Middle East, & impact of the same on Africa
- State responses to terrorism
- Media and terrorism
- Terrorism financing
- Maritime security
- Protecting critical infrastructure
- Gender and terrorism
- Terrorism, trauma, and counselling
- Terrorism and human rights
- Cyber security
- Rehabilitation and re-integration of ex-combatants and returnees
- Global trends in terrorism and violent extremism
- Select case studies: Somalia, Nigeria, Mali, Yemen, Syria, and any other.
The abstract should be limited to a maximum of 300 words, and it should contain:
- A title, list of authors and institutional affiliation
- Rationale to the study
- The key finding(s) of the study. New data not previously published or presented at a major national or international meeting is highly welcome.
- Conclusions of the study. Unsatisfactory conclusions should be presented as yet-to-be discussed results
- Abstracts should be submitted to email@example.com
- The primary language of the conference is English, and your submission should be submitted in English.
- The abstract should be submitted in Word or PDF format.
- The abstracts will be reviewed by competent scholars. Abstracts will be judged primarily on quality and relevance, and on adherence to submission criteria. Notification for acceptance or rejection of the abstract will be communicated to the author, via email.
- You will be expected to submit a completed paper by 12 March 2018, 2359hrs (East African Time). This paper will be peer reviewed, and will be the basis for your presentation at the conference.
- Contact the conference coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org in case you do not receive an acknowledgment email from the conference secretariat after submitting your abstract within two working days.