Senior Manager, Programs
Programs – Nairobi, Kenya
About the position
Evidence Action seeks a highly motivated professional to work across programs in extensive collaboration with teams across at-scale and emerging programs. The senior manager’s work will be underpinned by rigorous quantitative and qualitative analysis, simultaneous management of various projects and extensive engagement across diverse stakeholders. S/he will be inspired by Evidence Action’s mission to bring proven interventions to scale, and will have enormous opportunity to contribute to improved lives for millions of people around the world.
The senior manager will work on strategy and growth for current programs and incubation / modeling for new programs as they develop. The ideal candidate will have outstanding credentials, project management capabilities, analytical skills, and presentation skills. The senior manager must be able to function flexibly and independently and have a strong commitment to excellence and high quality of outputs.
About Evidence Action
Evidence Action scales proven development solutions to benefit millions of people around the world. We fill the gap between knowing ‘what works’ and having impact at scale. We implement cost-effective interventions whose efficacy is backed by substantial rigorous evidence. We identify innovative, appropriate financing mechanisms and build best-practice operational models. We voraciously self-evaluate, learn, and improve our models for scaling with a commitment to transparency on progress, impact, and value for money. Our two flagship programs reached over 200 million people this year. One of them, the Deworm the World Initiative, was again selected by GiveWell as one of only seven Top Charities on the planet.
Contribute to Evidence Action’s global program strategy
- Provide substantive input and engagement on regional and global program strategies
- Provide tactical inputs on operational and implementation design of new and at-scale programs to guide growth in new geographies and expansion in current geographies
- Conduct technical and contextual analysis, scoping, and prepare reports based on independent desk research and inputs from project manager and content and sector experts
- Support overall portfolio of supervisor
Liaise with global and in-country program teams for effective collaboration
- Act as a bridge between global program teams, in-country program teams, and support functions across Evidence Action’s geographies
- Generate models, standard operating procedures and tools that ensure clarity in roles and responsibilities across teams, and alignment on how to operationalize program goals
- Apply project management skills to move forward on complex work streams requiring inputs from multiple teams, levels of personnel, and geographies
- Take a mentoring role for project managers and on skills trainings to program team members
- Periodically represent Evidence Action for external engagements with partners, government officials and donors.
- Develop and manage budgets and project work flow across multiple aspects of different programs
- Complete special program-related projects within and across Evidence Action geographies
- Ensures project goals align with program goals
- Proactively identifies delivery issues and develop effective solutions
- Effectively coordinates project and program resources
- Provide other support as needed
Qualifications and skills
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- 4+ years of experience in program implementation and management roles
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and quantitative modeling skills, plus affinity for analytics and information management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare compelling presentations and written reports
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity and work in a fast-paced, open-structure, multicultural environment
- Experience independently managing complex work streams/projects and comfort with fast-changing and ambiguous workplace
- Experience successfully managing external relationships in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to be effective in high-pressure situations
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Experience living or working in developing countries
- Availability for 30% international and regional travel
- Experience using quantitative analysis software desirable
- Other pluses include experience working on global health and development issues, experience in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa, and experience in management consulting or a similar environment
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by phone and email for an interview. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Evidence Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.