Evidence Action: https://evidenceaction.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=134
Do you love words and language — and are proud to call yourself a geek? Do you believe that data can sing and that science is sexy? Do you adore Ezra Klein and Nate Silver? Are you smiling right now? Well, then we may have the job for you.
We are looking for a skilled journalist and writer to join our Evidence Action Beta team as a reporter and communicator par excellence. As a part of the Beta team, you will write for a variety of audiences about our portfolio of programs, and how we pressure-test and develop promising evidence-based interventions for impact at scale. If you love to write, are skilled at expressing complex, technical concepts in clear, compelling language, and are passionate about improving the lives of millions of people living in poverty, we are interested in you. Apply now!
The Organization: Evidence Action scales proven development solutions to benefit millions of people around the world. We fill the gap between knowing ‘what works’ and having impact at scale. We implement cost-effective interventions whose efficacy is backed by substantial rigorous evidence. We identify innovative, appropriate financing mechanisms and build best-practice operational models. We voraciously self-evaluate, learn, and improve our models for scaling with a commitment to transparency on progress, impact, and value for money. Our two flagship programs reached over 300 million people this year. And one of them was again selected by GiveWell as one of only four Top Charities worldwide.
We invite you to learn more about Evidence Action at www.evidenceaction.org.
The Position: This position is with the Beta Team that pressure-tests potential Evidence Action programs. Responsibilities are expected to include:
- Sourcing content from within the Beta team and writing insightful and compelling pieces for non-technical audiences, including: blog posts, long form articles, short posts, press releases, website updates, results dissemination etc.
- Reporting on lessons learned within the Beta team for internal and external circulation
- Providing editorial support to program leads in preparing policy briefs, grant proposals, donor report and other presentations and write-ups for various technical and non-technical audiences
- Developing communication strategies and standardized language for Beta programs with inputs from program leadership and Evidence Action Communication team
- Engaging in media monitoring and reputational risk management for all Beta programs
- Ensuring quality and systematic internal documentation and knowledge management for the Beta team within existing Evidence Action systems
- Managing Associate-level team members supporting communication and knowledge management
As Evidence Action is a dynamic organization, you may perform other duties as assigned.
Note: This is a new position within the Beta team. We are excited about the position and are open to discussing changes in title to fully capture the role.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in journalism, public policy, social sciences, communication, or related field
- Fantastic written and spoken communication skills in English with demonstrated ability to generate high quality content for a range of technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated expertise as a graceful and concise writer
- Familiarity with data visualization and presentation software for designing good quality communication material
- Interest in the world of evidence-based research, program implementation and policy
- Interest in setting up and working with knowledge management systems
- Ability to collaborate across teams and manage people directly and indirectly
- Adaptable, self-motivated, inquisitive and a team player who is interested in being part of a fast-paced, growing and diverse team with a start-up atmosphere.
- Detail oriented with demonstrated ability to multitask and meet short deadlines
- A sense of humor rated at least a 7.52 out of 10
This position is based in Nairobi. We expect a two year commitment.
Evidence Action offers competitive compensation packages for the nonprofit field, including comprehensive health insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching, commuter benefits, four weeks of vacation, and more.
How to Apply: Interested applicants need to apply online in the link provided. Please provide your resume, a cover letter clearly addressing the stated qualifications, and at least one short recent writing sample.
Evidence Action will apply for a work visa from the Kenyan authorities if necessary.
Evidence Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), adhering to the laws that prohibit discrimination in the terms and conditions of employment. The Evidence Action EOE policy provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin or ancestry, religion, creed, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital status, veteran status, disability (including HIV/AIDS), or any other status protected by applicable law.