Deadline 9am, Monday 3rd October 2016.
Looking for a curious and inspirational associate to join the staff of Well Told Story Consulting. We seek someone who is keen to learn new skills and to share them with others. And we are committed to investing time and money to train the ideal candidate.
Do you know who we’re looking for? Please send them this link if you do: http://www.welltoldstory.com/job-opportunity-well-told-story-consulting-is-looking-for-talent/
Well Told Story Consulting helps organisations realise their potential for positive change by promoting the power and importance of good communications – to maximise success and create impacts at scale. We need to expand our team to help us achieve our goals. Applicants will be judged on their willingness and ability to learn new skills.
For more on Well Told Story consulting, see: http://www.welltoldstory.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/About-Us-Consulting-One-Page.docx
Well Told Story Consulting helps organizations realise their potential for positive change by promoting the power and importance of good communications – to maximise success and create impacts at scale. For more, click here.
Well Told Story Consulting helps commercial, philanthropic and development organizations harness the power of good communications to design better products, to shape their planning, to influence policy change, inform the national discourse, build will for social reforms, nudge entire communities towards new norms, or identify and influence key individuals. We work with clients’ teams to design and plan strategies, mentor staff and improve skills.
The role: Strategic Communications Consultant
Full-time, based in Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel
We are looking for a curious and inspirational associate who is keen to learn new skills and share them with others. Applicants will be judged on their willingness and ability to learn new skills rather than their particular knowledge of strategic communications. We are committed to investing time and money to train the ideal candidate. In this role you will:
- Commit to a period of intensive training, shadowing a mentor and learning Well Told Story Consulting’s unique methodology
- Show a desire to learn new skills and identify gaps where further training is needed
Independently review/create strategies for six clients by close of first twelve months
- Independently provide strategic communications advice to clients that include academics, technical experts, ministry officials and junior staff with varying levels of expertise
- Politely cold call and interview clients, funders and donors at all levels of expertise and rank
- Review client communications and provide inclusive remedial advice in a timely, logical and easy to execute manner
- Support clients to develop realistic, implementable communications strategies that deliver measurable change
- Lead strategy process in excellent spoken English (and other languages if possible)
- Write well reasoned clear strategies and reports in excellent written English
- Mentor six teams in the first year
- Lead teams of diverse clients (international and national, skilled and unskilled, private and public sector) to successful and timely strategy execution
- Lead and present to meetings that include ministers and programme officers, junior staff and CEOs
- Identify client capacity gaps and design strategies to address them
- Mentor clients in strategic communications design
- Design and provide tailored communications training modules for clients
- Bring in two new clients within the first year and contribute to bringing in four more
- Strategically manage contacts and team communications to optimise all abilities, maximise work effectiveness and appeal to new clients
- Seek out clients in both public and private sectors who share Well Told Story Consulting’s social justice ethos
- Work with team to write proposals and react to sales leads
- Self-sign clients and use existing networks to seek new business
- Work with team to write proposals and react to sales leads
- Use social media and the full digital spectrum – from video to MailChimp – to seek work and market to clients
- Improve Well Told Story Consulting’s and your own offering to clients
- Engage in regular personal evaluation and improvement
- Communicate transparently with team for maximum self and team improvement
- Identify opportunities to productise and help to productise Well Told Story Consulting offering
- Identify areas of improvement for self and team
- Engage in additional training (self) where gaps have been identified
Desired Competencies, Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Exceptional written (English) communication skills
- Excellent verbal (English) communication skills
- Fluent Kiswahili
- Experience of living, working or studying abroad
- A minimum of 5 years experience of independently working in a dynamic environment
- Digitally proficient in a variety of programmes and suites
- Experience in the private sector
- Experience working with development practitioners and government
- Experience of juggling responsibilities and an understanding of logistical requirements
- Experience working with technical experts or academic researchers
- A commitment to deliver quality work on deadline
- Likes to work independently
- Exemplary project management skills with a proven track-record of successful delivery
- Natural leadership skills with the ability to guide, mentor, educate and support
- A good team player and a problem solver with the ability to recognize and mitigate internal conflicts and curate relationships with external partners and clients
- Innovative thinker with strong analytical skills, curiosity and an interest in expanding his/her knowledge in the areas relevant for Well Told Story Consulting’s success
Want to join our team? Tell us why you would make a great addition by emailing your application together with your CV to email@example.com by 9am, Monday 3rd October 2016 with Well Told Story Consulting in the message line.
Failure to apply on time or correctly will indicate an inability to perform the role. Please note only successful applicants will be contacted.