Friends of Lake Turkana (FoLT) is seeking a legal intern to work with our Programs and Research teams, to be based in Lodwar. The Legal Intern will have the unique opportunity of engaging with the law in day to day public interest advocacy, environmental justice and informing policy from a bottom up approach.
POSITION TITLE: LEGAL INTERNSHIP
due 7 October 2016
Friends of Lake Turkana (FoLT), is a grassroots organization founded in 2009 whose mission is to foster social, economic and environmental justice in the greater Lake Turkana basin through promotion of sustainable management of resources and protection of the natural environment with stakeholder participation.
Friends of Lake Turkana is looking for a legal intern passionate about public interest environmental law to provide support to our programs to develop and prosecute legal strategies for our grassroots and policy advocacy. Our overarching initiatives include; oil and mining industry, climate change, water and land, Lake Turkana basin and other environmental issues, and protecting our communities and ecosystems in the process.
The Legal Intern will be part of a highly efficient and motivated team. This position will be based in Lodwar and will involve researching and writing on areas of domestic and international law and policy; assisting with policy analysis and advocacy; attending meetings and conferences; assisting with the production of FoLT publications; and working closely with FoLT staff on various projects.
Specifically, the intern will be required to:
- Support Research and analysis on various policy and law and preparing written memoranda;
- Analysis of legislation, case law and international laws;
- Drafting of letters and other correspondence with government authorities;
- Writing opinion editorials and memos;
- Outreach and travel to impacted communities in Turkana
- Conducting factual investigation in line with FoLT’s strategy
Qualifications and Requirements:
- You should be a Law graduate, or in an advances legal degree (LLM) program; an environmental law background is preferable but not a requirement
- You should have a strong academic record, well-developed writing, research, and analytical skills as well as solid interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrate interest in and commitment to public interest work, or environment and community rights issues
- Ability to synthesize information from wide range of sources into simple, credible factsheets
- Flexibility and willingness to work independently
- Legally able to work in Kenya
Successful candidates will have distinguished themselves by their university experience through outstanding academic performance and leadership in a variety of academic, extracurricular and/or community service activities.
The duration of the internship is 6 months with possibility of extension and will be based in Lodwar with travel within the greater Turkana basin.
Applications, including a cover letter expressing interest the position, a resume, list of references, and writing sample should be sent via email before 7th October, 2016 to: firstname.lastname@example.org or Christine@friendsoflaketurkana.org
Please include all application material in one Microsoft Word document or PDF file. Submissions with multiple email attachments will not be accepted.
FoLT believes it has a role in creating a more equitable career development system thus all our internships are paid internships, and stipend will be offered on an individual basis based on experience
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
P.O Box 515-30500 Lodwar, Kenya. Tel: +254 (712) 142901.