Communications Officer, IBP Kenya
The International Budget Partnership Kenya (IBPK) is looking to appoint a Kenyan national as Communications Officer to oversee the development and dissemination of all key messages to IBPK’s principal audiences. The post holder will coordinate very closely with IBPK staff to identify key audiences and craft core messages; develop materials and resources and innovative strategies for communicating with key audiences; and implement those strategies in a timely and appropriate manner.
Ideal candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 3 years experience in organizational/corporate communications.
Read the full job description and learn how to apply here, and be sure to share this opportunity with your networks!
Expected start date: Immediately
IBP’s work in country is focused on strengthening the impact of civil society advocacy on country level budget policies and outcomes. Through deep and sustained engagement within countries, IBP provides support to build the expertise and skills of civil society actors involved in budget advocacy. It also strengthens the relationships and dialogue between these groups and other stakeholders in the budget process, including government. IBP-organized advocacy, research, technical assistance and networking are all integral components of its work in country.
The International Budget Partnership Kenya (IBPK) is looking to appoint a Kenyan national as Communications Officer to oversee the development and dissemination of all key messages to IBPK’s principal audiences. The post holder will coordinate very closely with the Country Manager and other IBPK staff members to identify key audiences and craft core messages; develop materials and resources and innovative strategies for communicating with key audiences; and implement those strategies in a timely and appropriate manner. The Communications Officer also is responsible for coordinating with IBP’s central Communications Team in Washington, D.C., on IBPK’s communications work and needs, as well as its contribution to IBP’s overall communications responsibilities.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Coordinating closely with the Country Manager, Research Analyst, and Project Coordinator to develop and disseminate key messages emerging from the organization’s analysis (papers, briefs, etc.) and activities on a daily/weekly basis
- Generating innovative approaches to communicating the organization’s content, and producing pamphlets, multimedia, data visualizations and infographics, and other products for doing so
- Ensuring that the organization’s messages are regularly inserted into ongoing conversations in traditional and social media that touch on issues related to budgets, public participation, and the broader economy
- Coordinating ongoing communications campaigns around transparency, equity, and other issues that are core to the organization’s agenda
- Monitoring traditional and social media coverage of the organization and of the organization’s agenda on a daily basis and making recommendations for how to improve that coverage
- Monitoring and analyzing user data, working with the central Communications team as needed, to understand how to better reach out to current users of our materials and to increase usage
- Increasing the organization’s brand recognition in traditional and social media
- Fashioning messages for different audiences as needed, including but not limited to parliament, national and county executive officers, politicians, media, civil society and ordinary citizens, and reaching out directly to these audiences with to build relationships and improve communication
- Editing papers, budget briefs, newsletters, corporate communications, social media posts, and other materials prior to final design and publication, working with the Country Manager and the central Communications team to ensure international quality standards are met
- Coordinating with graphic designers and printers to ensure high-quality production of communications materials
- Coordinating, with the support of the project coordinator, the organization’s quarterly newsletter
- Attending events on behalf of the organization to represent the organization’s perspective and communicate key messages to various stakeholders
- Participating in trainings, workshops, and other sessions to facilitate learning related to the organization’s training and capacity-building agenda
- Developing, maintaining, and deepening relationships with media to ensure that the organization’s messages are understood and given weight by traditional media houses and emerging media organizations
- Supporting communication-related capacity-building interventions for CSO partners and staff, as required
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant discipline
- At least 3 years of experience in organizational/corporate communications
- At least 2 years of managing or working with digital communications platforms, including websites, social media, and mass email distribution software
- At least 2 years of working with civil society, nonprofit, or other public interest organizations
- Experience in handling print and broadcast media relations, preferred
- Experience in coordinating graphic design for publication, preferred
- Basic knowledge of public finance, public policy, economic development or related fields, preferred
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English, particularly in writing, but also orally
- Demonstrated ability to edit, proof, and coordinate the design of high-quality publications and other communications content
- Ability to synthesize complex and technical findings into simple messages
- Exceptional attention to detail (grammar, spelling, etc.) in communications
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in Kiswahili
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to thrive in and contribute to a culture of collaboration and teamwork
- Record of a high level of organization in previous work; a strong ability to prioritize tasks to meet multiple deadlines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office package, required; proficiency with other specialist software applications, desirable
Commensurate with experience, competitive benefits
If you are interested in applying, please submit the following:
- an application letter that explains why you are interested in the job and describes your experience in organizational/corporate communications;
- a resume/CV; and
- a sample of your writing (about 700-1000 words) that demonstrates your ability to write effectively on topics relevant to this position.
All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Communications Officer for IBPK” in the subject area of your email. Closing date for applications is 16 September 2016.