Call for applications: Consultant for the development of a game-based behaviour change curriculum around sanitation and hygiene
WASH United Africa is looking for a seasoned expert who can help us improve and expand our existing curriculum of games and activities that foster good sanitation and hygiene habits. Main tasks will be to analyse our existing materials, to develop recommendations for improvements and to develop new curriculum components.
More details in this nicely formatted PDF or below in text…
2. Job details
Application deadline: 10.8. 2016
Duration of the contract: 15.8. – 16.12.2016
Scope of the task: roughly 15 man days throughout the project duration, with a more intensive work phase in the beginning
3. Key tasks
- Assess WASH United’s existing materials
- Develop recommendations to improve the materials (e.g. changes in themethodology, changes in the presentation)
- Develop, prototype and test new curriculum sections (especially for a newcomponent on menstrual hygiene management)
- Consult WASH United staff on latest insights in behavioural psychology,behaviour change communication and game development and pass on yourknowledge in dedicated internal training sessions
- Support WASH United’s project management staff to establish an agileprocess based on e.g. Design Thinking principles optimized for product development and improvement.
WASH United gGmbH
Fürbringerstrasse 7 | 10961 Berlin | GERMANY
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg | Registernummer: HRB 138786B | USt-ID gemäß § 27a UStG: 27/602/56196
4. Your qualifications and skills
- At least 5 years of experience in developing play-based teaching methodologies and curricula
- Thorough understanding of behavioural psychology and/or educational sciences, with a focus on play-based approaches
- Vast experience in product development processes, using industry standard methodologies like Design Thinking and the respective tools
- Experience in working with agile project management methods
- Experience in creating highly visual/image-centred teaching materials incooperation with designers/illustrators
- Background knowledge and experience around the issue of water, sanitationand hygiene (including menstrual hygiene) is an advantage
- Strong self-management skills with a focus on results
- Ability to work successfully with culturally diverse teams
5. What we offer
We offer the opportunity to support a young, ambitious and fast-growing organisation, work with a very dynamic and passionate team and make a substantial contribution to achieving sanitation and hygiene for all people in Sub- Saharan Africa.
6. How to apply
Please submit your application, including a cover letter, CV, a portfolio of projects you have worked on in the past, two references and your daily rate to firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions, please get in touch with Grace Kadenge at +254 729 515 363.
7. Background information about the product About the organisation
WASH United is an international non-profit organisation with offices in Berlin (HQ), Nairobi and Delhi that works to change attitudes and facilitate behaviour change around sanitation and hygiene at scale, with a focus on Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. Combining the powers of play-based learning, super-star role models and positive communication, since 2011 WASH United and partners have trained more than 200,000 children in good sanitation and hygiene practices and reached hundreds of millions of people through innovative advocacy interventions.
About the curriculum
WASH United’s training curriculum enables teachers and sports coaches to deliver play-based interventions about sanitation and hygiene to children. Through different games and sport activities, they explore issues like handwashing with soap, toilet use and how germs spread. We are currently undergoing a phase of revision and extension of the curriculum, with the aim of improving the quality of our methods and the presentation of content, as well as adding new games and focus areas. More concretely, we will develop an entirely new component of the curriculum on the topic of menstrual hygiene management.
About the target group
WASH United’s interventions target children between 6 and 14 years of age, mainly from marginalized communities. The playbook will be used by school teachers and community sports coaches who would like to integrate sessions about sanitation and hygiene in their work (e.g. in PE classes, break time in schools or before/during/after sports sessions in community organisations).