About Amani Institute
Through developing individuals who have the knowledge, practical skills, vision, courage, and networks to take on major challenges, our ultimate mission is to build much-needed capacity in organizations addressing social problems, thus enabling more effective operations across the entire field.
A. Training Design and Facilitation
- Design and deliver/facilitate training to a wide range of audiences, both East African and global, after being trained in the Amani Institute curriculum and approach to higher education. Participants in your classes could range in age from 20 to 60, with great diversity of cultural and professional backgrounds. Class sizes could range from 5 people to 40 people.
- Assist with or lead new educational programs in Kenya for individuals or institutions, across the social, academia, and private sectors. All our programs focus on building skills for careers with a social impact.
- Innovate on existing program structure and pedagogy, in line with organizational values and strategic direction. New ideas are welcomed at Amani Institute.
B. Program Management
- Constantly review and improve the curricula (instructors, courses, modules, activities, teaching materials and worksheets) according to social sector employers’ needs, and Amani Institute’s values and learning model
- Efficiently manage program logistics and operations as needed, in particular with recruitment, communications, tracking of student participation and learning, field trips, and specific events or projects
- Work in a closely-knit, fast-growing, diverse, global team. Amani Institute is transitioning from a start-up to a scaling organization, so staff members are expected to do many different types of tasks, which may include long hours and intense periods of work. This is a job for someone who wants to work hard, take on more responsibility, and grow professionally with us
- Undergraduate degree
- Passion for social change
- At least 5-7 years of previous work experience, including some experience in the social sector
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work effectively – both on your own as well as with a diverse team
- Attention to detail
- Ability to not just multi-task, but even enjoy working on many different projects at once
- Evidence of being a doer – high degree of performance and self-accountability
- Experience with innovation and/or adult leadership development
- Experience of training others in those topics and group facilitation. This includes experience with adult learning and development
- Proven ability to coach and mentor individuals from all walks of life towards achieving their professional goals, including those older and with more experience
- Proven ability to manage projects from beginning to end – from project conception to implementation to evaluating outcomes
(Although not required in order to apply, possessing any of these characteristics will be an advantage)
- Master’s degree
- International experience outside Kenya, for work and/or study
- Ability to build and manage professional relationships for networking and/or business development
- IT skills: Good knowledge of MS Office (especially Word, Excel, and Powerpoint), and common cloud software (Dropbox, CRM systems, Google Drive, etc)
You would be a good fit with our organizational culture if :
- You proactively initiate action when you see a problem, regardless of whether it is “your responsibility” or not
- You have passion for your work, both in terms of topic and excellence
- You are curious and enthusiastic to keep learning new skills throughout your life
- You love working with people from very different backgrounds
- You value individual differences and personalities and are always looking to tap into these for organization and individual growth
- You are comfortable bringing your whole self to work
- The position is based in Nairobi, Kenya, and we are primarily looking for a Kenyan citizen or a foreign resident with the right to work in Kenya, or an East African national
- Occasional weekend work is required, as some classes happen on Saturdays
Salary will be commensurate with experience and skills. There will be an initial trial period of 6 months, with the expectation that the initial contract will be for 2 years after that.
Application deadline: August 15, 2016
Expected Start Date: October 3, 2016
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis so please send your application as soon as possible!