Heinrich Böll Stiftung is looking for a full-time Programme Coordinator who can develop, coordinate and manage all projects under the Regional and International Dialogue Component of the regional office. The ideal individual is a highly motivated self-starter, who is as comfortable in a boardroom as in a rural area, with a passion for social justice and democratic governance in the region. This will help us and our partners to achieve our vision for East and Horn of Africa…
The Regional and International Dialogue Programme Component contributes to peace, political stability and democratic governance and respect for diversity through inclusive participation of a wide variety of non-state actor groups in the region. This includes:
- Dialogue between civil society actors, academics and decision makers from East and Horn of Africa, Europe and emerging powers;
- Thought leaders challenging the roll-back of democratic governance reforms and norms and values that perpetuate patriarchal mind sets throughout East Africa and the Horn of Africa;
- Inclusion of civic voices and local and gendered perspectives in discourses towards peace, political stabilisation and nation building in the Horn of Africa region.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyse national, regional and international socio-political developments relevant to the Regional and International Dialogue Component in order to shape the conceptual approach and project activities
- Represent and promote the Foundation’s strategies and principles at stakeholder meetings, networks, conferences and other events
- Provide support to and actively collaborate with partners including training and orientation
- Develop, plan, implement, monitor/evaluate and report (including financial) all programme activities under the Regional and International Dialogue Component
- Plan and support the organization of events
- Manage and monitor contracts with partner organizations, contractors and consultants
- Manage the component budget
Networking and Communication:
- Maintain contacts with the programme relevant national and international organisations as well as journalists in mainstream media and social media influencers
- Contribute to the website and other social media channels of the office
- Maintain a supporter and contact database
- Participate in public dialogues and represent the foundation in the press locally and internationally
- Oversee the production of policy papers, public briefings and other materials released by the foundation
Some Mandatory Requirements:
- Masters Degree in Political Science, International relations, Law, Development Studies , Sociology, or related fields
- At least five years of experience in a senior position with an international organisation working in Kenya or the region
- A demonstrated ability to advocate for gender issues locally, nationally and ideally, internationally, including an ability to initiate and follow through on advocacy
- A passion for social justice and a demonstrated commitment to the goals or priorities of the organisation
- Excellent understanding of regional politics, history and contemporary dynamics
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills
- Excellent project cycle management skills, including experience in M&E
- Good knowledge of budget planning and controlling
- Good knowledge of MS Office, MS Excel, power point
- Good knowledge of common social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook)
- Superior verbal and written communication skills in English
- Highly motivated, pro-active individual with demonstrated ability to work under minimal supervision
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities
- Ability to build and motivate a team and work within a diverse multi-cultural setting
- Applications from the East Africa/Horn of Africa region are welcome if candidates are eligible to work in Kenya
Who is hbs?
The Heinrich Böll Stiftung (hbs) is a German Political Foundation affiliated with the Green Party in the German Federal Parliament. The hbs Regional Office for East and Horn of Africa based in Nairobi acts as a people-centric green think-tank. We facilitate inclusive dialogues, offer expertise and in partnership with like-minded people and organizations develop innovative perspectives along the core themes: Gender Democracy, Sustainable Development and Regional and International Dialogue.
East and Horn of Africa is a beacon of political stability and an engine for inclusive growth in Africa with a democratic, accountable and inclusive leadership that actively promotes gender equality, religious and ethnic tolerance and rights of minorities, including sexual minorities; investing its resource wealth in creating opportunities for an educated, healthy, largely young and politically active population while following a low carbon development path and supporting climate resilient livelihoods, committed to the principles of food sovereignty.
What We Offer
We offer a challenging, creative and intellectually stimulating career experience as part of a global network of passionate professionals that drive social innovation, transformation and political change. We believe in honouring our staff’s commitment to our work and vision, providing opportunities for the professional and personal growth of our team members. The salary will be based on industry norms commensurate with the skills and experience. Benefits include insurance and pension schemes.
Deadline: The position will remain open until filled. Please apply as soon as possible.
Please email your application to Samuel Kamau email@example.com. Include a detailed CV with at least three references and a motivation letter. Please use Application: Programme Coordinator Regional and International Dialogue in the email subject line. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.