Factor(E) Ventures, an early-stage energy access impact investor, is hiring for an East Africa Regional Associate in Nairobi. Thank you for sharing this opportunity with individuals and communities for whom this position might be a good fit.
Position Description: East Africa Regional Associate
Factor(E) Ventures is seeking a regional associate for its new East Africa office. The regional associate will provide support to Factor(E) Ventures’ portfolio companies operating in East Africa and build a rich pipeline of early-stage technology ventures, ushering the best regional energy access ventures into Factor(E)’s portfolio. The Regional Associate will spend a large share of her/his time in “the field,” outside of capital cities.
With roughly one-third of the world lacking access to electricity, clean cooking, clean water, or sanitation, there is a great global need for entrepreneurial solutions to provide dramatic improvement in access to energy and energy services in emerging economies. East Africa is a region brimming with innovation, opportunity, and need in these areas.
Factor(E) identifies, validates, de-risks, enhances and seed-funds highly-scalable socially meaningful ventures that can help drive development. We leverage our technical resources, early-stage enterprise experience, and partnerships to develop a pipeline of high quality ventures. We then help these ventures develop the strategies, hone the technologies, build the teams, and raise the funds they need to achieve impact at scale.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Management: This position reports to the Africa Operations Director and will be a partner to the Africa Operations Director in establishing Factor(E)’s presence in the region.
Compensation: Salary will be commensurate with experience and competitive in the social venture industry.
Responsibilities: The East Africa Regional Associate will be the first full-time member of Factor(E)’s regional team in East Africa. She/he will focus on supporting Factor(E) portfolio companies logistically and operationally, sourcing new investment opportunities, building an understanding of this market, and recruiting talent and building partnerships to extend Factor(E)’s reach in the region. As a key member of a small, dynamic, and growing team she/he will be expected to fill a range of evolving responsibilities with a “get the job done” and team player attitude.
Core duties include:
Support Our Ventures:
• Help our portfolio companies that are not based in East Africa access customers in the region.
• Provide support with logistics and identifying key service partners for out-of-region companies.
• Build a “talent pipeline” of high-impact professionals that can fuel the growth of portfolio companies.
• Support Factor(E) in walking all portfolio companies through a systematic development process.
Find New Ventures:
• Find (“source”) a robust pipeline of promising, high-impact technology ventures.
• Participate in key regional conferences and networks.
• Develop expertise in performing due diligence on prospective investments.
• Usher prospective investments through the venture analysis, investment approval, and deal structuring phases.
• Master Factor(E)’s tools and approaches to evaluating early-stage investment opportunities.
• Support Factor(E)’s sourcing generally with field visits and operational due diligence related to ventures in our pipeline.
• Conduct market and competitive-landscape research.
Build Partnerships and Extend Our Reach:
• Grow and steward a network of finance partners that are in a position to co- and follow on-invest in Factor(E) Ventures portfolio companies.
• Identify service providers to support Factor(E) and portfolio companies with a range of services from market research to local assembly.
• Cultivate partnerships – such as distribution, finance, and sales partnerships – to accelerate the growth of our portfolio companies and of energy access ventures generally.
• Build Factor(E) Venture’s reputation as a key early-stage investor in energy access social ventures in East Africa.
• Support knowledge transfer to Factor(E)’s global operations and to the energy access sector and the impact investment industry.
• Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, agricultural science, business, international development, or related/otherwise relevant field.
• Proven track-record of executing against deadlines and reliably delivering outcomes.
• Successful experience with project management.
• Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• “Get the job done” attitude that embraces teamwork, flexibility, and resilience.
• Ability to work independently with an instinct for identifying priorities and time management.
• Ability to travel extensively within the region.
• Deep commitment to serving low-income consumers and driving economic growth through developing world class ventures that deliver results in challenging environments.
• English fluency (both verbal and written). Additional languages (especially French or Kiswahili) would be beneficial.
To Apply: Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Last Name – East Africa Regional Associate.” Include a letter explaining your interest in and experience with energy access, energy technologies, social enterprise, etc. – the elements that make you excited about and exciting to Factor(E).
Additionally, please review the companies in our portfolio (available on our website) and indicate which one you find most compelling and why. This doesn’t have to be a lengthy exercise – some basic research and thought about the business models and problems the ventures are solving should suffice. A half page discussion should be enough and please write no more than one full single-space typed page.
Factor(E) Ventures does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Factor(E) Ventures is an equal opportunity/equal access employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.
Factor(E) Ventures is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we may conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.