Study Coordinator — Kenya
Reports to: Senior Impact Officer
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: February 15th, 2015
Contact: Olivia Omindo
Regional HR & Admin Manager
Job Type: Fixed Term — January 2016 to June 2017
The Study Coordinator will oversee field-based, mixed-method studies with five to seven agricultural businesses (clients of Root Capital) in East Africa and possibly West Africa as well. The studies will explore likely impacts of Root Capital and our client businesses on rural households – including producers, employees, and consumers – and ecosystems, as well as informing Root Capital’s ongoing revisions of our social and environmental due diligence on prospective clients. The studies will also explore barriers and opportunities for women, and for youth under 30…
This position requires significant travel (40%) to different client sites in East Africa to oversee data collection. For each study, the coordinator will make 1 to 2 short trips for planning, spend 3 to 4 weeks on-site to oversee data collection, and take an additional short trip to present results. Analysis and writing will be performed from Nairobi.
Each study will include household data collection with 100-200 farmers and employees, focus groups, and enterprise level interviews. The consultant will work closely with Root Capital and agricultural business clients to coordinate these studies, including, for each study: recruiting, training, and overseeing a team of 4-8 local enumerators; conducting focus groups and interviews with management; performing quantitative and qualitative analysis of results, and preparing final reports and presentations for the businesses, Root Capital, and external stakeholders.
Beyond overseeing the studies, the coordinator will dedicate up to 15% of his/her time to general departmental support, including reviewing social and environmental scorecards for prospective and renewing clients, and potentially coordinating third-party assessments for clients in high-risk sectors.
Mission and History of Root Capital
Root Capital’s mission is to grow rural prosperity by investing in small and growing agricultural businesses that build sustainable livelihoods in Africa and Latin America.
Root Capital is a nonprofit social investment fund that grows rural prosperity in poor, environmentally vulnerable places in Africa and Latin America by lending capital, delivering financial training and strengthening market connections for small and growing agricultural businesses.
Root Capital clients include associations and private businesses that help create sustainable livelihoods by aggregating the products of hundreds, and often, thousands of farmers. Since our launch in 1999, we have provided more than $791 million in credit to over 546 small and growing agricultural businesses.
Root Capital envisions a thriving financial market serving agricultural businesses that generate long-term social, economic, and environmental sustainability for small-scale farmers and their communities around the world. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated locations in Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru and Kenya.
- Manage and coordinate deep-dive case studies with Root Capital clients in East and West Africa
- Collaborate with Root Capital and clients in survey and methodology design, ensuring that studies are adapted to local contexts and incorporate the clients’ business questions
- Recruit, train, and hire local enumerators for each study
- Oversee field-based data collection, accompanying surveys daily, checking surveys for completeness and logic, and conducting back checks to ensure data quality
- Program, manage, and trouble shoot surveying software on tablets
- Prepare regular reports on study progress, any issues encountered, main trends observed
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis of results; identify key findings and actionable recommendations for clients, Root Capital, and others
- Create reports in various media (i.e., narrative, PPT) summarizing findings for various audiences, including clients, Root Capital, donors and investors
- Give oral presentations of findings to clients, to Root Capital staff, and to other partners
- Work with Root Capital to leverage findings for internal improvements to Root Capital’s processes, i.e., to social and environmental due diligence
Required Skills and Experience
- Fluency in English
- Experience with field-based data collection
- Strong data analysis skills; proficiency in Excel
- Experience working with smallholder farmers, rural SMEs, and/or working in rural areas
- Comfortable spending significant time (40% of year, sometimes several successive weeks) in remote rural areas in different countries of East Africa
- Able to represent Root Capital to a range of audiences, from donors and peer organizations to small-scale farmers
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills and empathy
- Ability to manage multiple teams and coordinate activities according to the methodology and instruction of Root Capital
- Authorization to work in East Africa
- Fluency in Swahili and/or French
- Experience supervising a field research team
- Experience with surveying software
- Experience with STATA
- Knowledge of agricultural value chains
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as sociology, economics, or agronomy
Commensurate with experience.
Applications and Nominations
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Applications are due by November 6, 2015, and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted in October and November. Your application should include a resume (CV) and cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, expected salary, and how you heard about this position. Completed applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “Study Coordinator” followed by your name (Last, First) as the subject line of your email (e.g. “Study Coordinator – Kiki, Lovelace”). Finalist candidates will be required to provide at least three work-related references.
Root Capital is an equal opportunity employer.