Finance, Administration, and HR Associate, REFUNITE Nairobi
We’re searching for a detail-oriented, highly organized, and energetic finance/admin/HR associate to join us in our Nairobi office.
What we do: The world holds more than 59 million refugees, asylum-seekers, and internally displaced people (IDPs), many of whom have been forcibly separated from their loved ones. We believe that this is unacceptable and that big data can help. Specifically, we build technology to help forcibly separated families reconnect, and are currently assisting more than 400,000 people find their children, siblings, and parents.
Working with our partners – technology companies, mobile network operators, and humanitarian actors – we leverage localized online and offline touchpoints to collect the data necessary to catalyze reconnection. REFUNITE currently has projects throughout Africa and the Middle East, with expansion planned in the near future to other regions as well. As our platform grows, we are also in the nascent phases of exploring further services to offer users, such as mHealth.
Learn more at refunite.org.
We’re not in this for the status quo: our ambition is to change the lives of some of the most resource-deprived people on the planet. We work hard and have fun. If this startup dynamic – combined with a mission to empower the world’s refugees and displaced people – sounds like your ideal place to thrive, get in touch. Our team consists primarily of professionals from the tech/communications industry who have decided to put skills to use in the realm of helping others. We strongly urge private sector candidates to apply.
- You’re an early to mid-career professional with strong written and spoken communications/interpersonal skills. We have a highly cross-cultural team and deal with a wide variety of people in the course of a day, so empathetic, continuous, and effective communication and the ability to listen should be your default states.
- You are structured and organized – to a fault. This means you have an ability to take verbal instructions and run with them with limited supervision, while effectively tracking them so things don’t fall through the gap as tasks proliferate (and they inevitably do!)
- You’re a finance/admin/HR “entrepreneur” – with a natural tendency to take ownership and responsibility for what you begin. In other words, you tend to take the initiative to spot and fix things that might go wrong in the future or prove risky if left unattended – quickly picking up organizational processes and dynamics along the way and getting antsy to find ways to improve them.
- You’re a highly resourceful problem solver with strong negotiation skills. A true hustler. Bureaucracy isn’t scary for you and you know how to effectively push – and push hard – to get stuff done, whether with government entities, third party vendors, lawyers, accountants, public secretaries, real estate owners/agents, etc.
- You have excellent time management skills – the kind of person who gets to events and meetings on time and holds others to that same standard.
- Generally: taking ownership of REFUNITE’s needs around staff support, financial/legal administration, and all related tasks that keep the organization a tight, well-operating ship in compliance with the law and applicable best practices.
- Establishing efficient systems, improving on existing ones, and automating as necessary with the finance, administration, legal, and HR spaces.
- Processing payroll and making all relevant statutory payments for RU staff on a monthly basis.
- Maintaining accurate financial accounts,including book keeping.
- Working with government entities to get various certifications, documents, permits, and other such needs in order for REFUNITE. Travel as necessary throughout Nairobi (and sometimes elsewhere) to do this.
- Organise for printing, delivering/couriering, and other miscellaneous needs throughout Nairobi.
- Procurement, dealing with 3rd-party vendors, and maintaining inventories of REFUNITE assets and office supplies.
- Setting up and being responsible for REFUNITE’s financial transactions, budgets, expense approvals, payroll processing, audits, and associated duties.
- Booking travel and accommodation for traveling REFUNITE staff.
- Events setup/management.
- Creating and tracking contracts, on/offboarding new/departing staff, and implementing REFUNITE’s HR policies.
- Ad-hoc administrative tasks.
The finance/admin/HR associate is a true anchor for the Nairobi office of REFUNITE, responsible for many organizational processes and generally making sure everything is up and running as it should. The successful candidate will report directly to the Africa Director.
Desired skills and experience:
- Comfort with MS Office, Google Docs, and Dropbox, with the ability to quickly pick up organizational software such as Trello, Jira, and various CRM systems.
- Law degree along with basic accounting/budgeting, project management, and/or HR experience preferred. Academic background is much, much less important than relevant skillsets, however.
- Experience in a similar role working for a technology company or fast-moving startup is a big positive.
What we can offer:
- Being part of an ambitious, fast-paced, skilled, and international team
- A great work environment with highly enthusiastic and smart colleagues
- Contributing to a powerful social mission: reconnecting the world’s displaced with their family and loved ones
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Paid vacation from year one
- Medical cover
How to apply:
- Send your CV, cover letter, and 2 references to email@example.com
- Please indicate your salary requirements
- Mark your application with the title “Finance/Admin/HR Associate”
- NOTE: Due to the volume of applications, we can only respond to those selected for a screening interview