Position Listing: Chief Technology Officer
Closing Date: Sept. 1, 2015
[Job details below…]
What do we do: Twiga is on our way to being Africa’s largest grocer. We’re using a mobile-based, cashless, business-to-business (B2B) supply platform to access distribution into the millions of small and medium size vendors in African urban markets. This allows us to drastically lower their daily costs of goods by exploiting latent value in broken, informal, value-chains and wholesale providers. Nairobi alone has at least 18,000 small and medium size vendors buying $55 a day in stock, our goal is to be their single source of supply. In the coming years will be expanding our platform to five African markets…
How we do it: Twiga solves the major flaw in African distribution: information. To get the information rolling down the value chain we’re developing an mCommerce app for the millions of small vendors in densely populated areas.
A vendor simply logs into the app, generates their order for goods from a fully stocked back-end grocery supply inventory (bananas, pineapples, batteries, light bulbs, toothpaste, etc.), and those goods get delivered to their shop the following morning on credit and for much lower prices than informal markets. When they’re done selling for the day, and ready to place the next day’s order, they mPesa (mobile money) their payment for the previous day’s stock and place the next day’s order.
What it means: For Small Vendors the Vendor (where 96% of Food and FMCG products are sold)
- Markedly lower prices on goods
- Better quality, longer shelf-life products
- No more 5am trips to wholesale markets, we do directly daily delivery of stock
- Stock is tied to selling power, instead of cash on hand due to credit options
- Reliable supply
- Loyalty programmes
Twiga is transformative in African food and goods supply by being one of the only entities working in a formal way to add value to the informal market.
What we are looking for in a CTO:
Team Building: We’re integrating a SAAS support provider into to an internal model, and you’ll need to lead a team to assemble an agile product to be managed in-house. We’ll help you find candidates, but this is your team to build.
Empathy: Most of our users have never used a smart-phone or an app before, and while this is quickly changing, we have to meet them where they are on product.
Exposure: We’ll be relying on you to identify the right technology platforms for Twiga and for the market. These are not always right at hand in Kenya, so persistent exposure to what’s going on outside our market is key.
Strategy: Lead the IT component of the strategy team in reaching our goals within timetables, and inline with our broader initiatives. Communication: Aptly communicate Twiga’s IT strategy to investors, vendors, staff, and donor partners.
- Build team who will design, development, implement, and maintain mobile tech and back-end support technologies
- Oversee web-development
- Integrate payments platforms into mobile platforms
- Create mobile-based client research initiative
- Familiar with agile methodology
- Has contributed to a demonstrable mCommerce product roll-out
- Demonstrated ability to envision web and mobile services that meet consumer needs or solve business problems
- Java (Android SDK)
- UI/UX experience
- Ability to discern user requirements and develop specifications
- Minimum 3 years of development team experience
- Strong design eye
- Flexible personality able to work in informal market setting with vendors
- Strong analytical skills
- Completely customer focused
- Ability to transition from technical to non-technical audiences
- Salary to match a high standard of living with Kenya
- Vehicle provided
- Attractive and competitive long term and short-term incentives linked to performance.
Reply To: Grant at TwigaFoods.com