Do you have the ‘write’ stuff? FULL JOB DESCRIPTION HERE.
Vacancy Name: Freelance Writer
Number of hours: Two months part-time (with the possibility of transitioning to full time hire)
Region: East Africa
Hivos in East Africa is looking for a passionate, creative and enthusiastic writer looking to work on a freelance basis to produce content (feature articles, social media posts) for the Hivos website, social media platforms, local and international media outlets.
Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. We believe that every human being has the right to live in freedom and dignity. We believe in an open society that guarantees freedom, diversity and equal opportunities for all and a green society that is about people, and where green economies are possible, and green food is powered by productive landscapes. We work to promote renewable energy, the production of green food; freedom of expression, transparency and accountability, women’s empowerment; and sexual rights and diversity.
- Excellent spoken and written English language skills
- Demonstrated experience in writing for an online audience (e.g. you write regularly for your own blog, or you are a regular contributor to a blog)
- Creative thinker
- Capable of working under strict deadlines
- The ability to interview in English & Kiswahili and generate content from sources
- Great editing skills and a nose for stories
- Significant social media experience including Facebook and Twitter
- Multimedia skills (ability to work with videos, photographs, digital platforms)
- Good research skills
- Knowledge of Kenyan media houses and practitioners
- Content Management System experience
- You are passionate about writing, and cannot imagine a world where you are not actively writing
- You are passionate about the issues Hivos works on
- Excellent writing skills, with English as your most fluent language
- Ability to write and edit a range of content across channels, including blog posts and social media for various formats including newsletters, policy briefs, working papers, marketing publicity etc.
- Creativity with a passion for content across all platforms i.e. website, video, photography and digital media
- Proven ability in curating and promoting digital content
- Ability to interact with engaging content across social media and represent Hivos appropriately
- High attention to detail including strong proof-reading skills
- Ability to work remotely with an editor in the Netherlands
- Confident in engaging with key stakeholders
- Pro-active in keeping up to date with the issues and projects that Hivos works on
- Willingness to share knowledge and expertise, and guide other colleagues.
- Results focused