Position Title: Project Manager – Camara Educational Foundation Kenya (GEC Project)
Reporting to: Africa Operations Manager
Contract: 6 Months (with possible extension as project needs dictate)
Camara is an International organisation dedicated to using technology to deliver 21st century skills, and as such improve education in disadvantaged communities around the world…
Founded in 2005 in Ireland, the organisation has built a proven model of ‘education delivery’ that is both sustainable and highly scalable. Camara has provided eLearning Centres to 2,500 schools in Africa, Ireland and the Caribbean – installed nearly 50,000 computers and trained over 12,000 teachers how to use the technology for learning purposes. Some 700,000 children in poor communities have been made digitally literate by us over this period.
Camara adopts a social enterprise model that sells a wide range of products and services (reused computers, educational software, training programs, technical support) to our Educational Hubs at heavily subsidised prices. The Hubs then sell the Camara package into the schools and provide after- market support.
Camara Educational Foundation (Camara Kenya) is a registered Kenyan NGO and has been in operation since 2006, the longest standing operation in the Camara network. In this time, the Hub has received and dispatched 10,000 computers filled with educational material, in the form of e-Learning centres or labs, to over 500 schools, introduced quality training, such as the Kenyan Institute of Education approved Intel Teach Program for teachers and Camara’s SkillBuilder course and in 2013 become an accredited Cisco Academy.
Basic objective of the Role: Plan and implement the roll-out of large ICT Intervention to schools across 3 counties in Kenya over a 6 month period.
Planning and Coordination: Identify, manage and coordinate project tasks and timelines to support the project deployment.
Develop / maintain full-scale project plans and associated communication documents.
Logistics: Provide the project management and lead in cross functional teams to meet challenging project commitments in line with agreed metrics.
Financial Management: Forecast requirements and prepare budgets; schedule expenditures;
analyse variances and initiate corrective actions.
Team Management: Recruit, select, train, assign, schedule and coach your team. Communications: Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and project partners/stakeholders in a clear and timely fashion.
Computers loaded with Camara content delivered to schools
Network of eLearning Centre
Consulting and project management support to schools in their preparation of the eLearning
Technical support to schools
● Demonstrates passion and enthusiasm for Camara’s vision, and motivates, leads, and empowers others to achieve organisational goals.
● Demonstrated ability to lead teams within a project and give direction to fellow team members
to complete tasks to a defined timeline.
● Strong ability to resolve problems and determine system improvements whilst working.
● Excellent communication skills to establish and maintain positive working relationships with schools, partners, government, staff and key stakeholders.
● Personal commitment to organisational excellence; displays honesty, integrity, and a strong sense of ethics in all decision and actions.
● Is resilient; remains calm and deliberate under conditions of stress.
● Has the ability to organise time to the best advantage of Camara.
● Excellent oral and written communication.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
● 3 years+ Project/Programme management experience
● Must have previous experience working in a developing country
● Project Financial & Budgetary controls
● Fluent in English, Knowledge of Swahili would be beneficial
● Educated to degree level