STORYTELLING AND FILM SCRIPT WRITING
Applications are now invited from filmmakers from East Africa (3 each from Kenya, Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda and Tanzania) to theworkshop to be held between 18-21 June, Zanzibar, During ZIFF
Storytelling is a very creative endeavour. From childhood we find fun in playing and in that way develop ways in telling stories. As we grow we learn even to tell lies and those are also stories we learn to develop. When we tell stories in film we however have a different focus- we focus on the audience, the timespan we have and the other elements that support storytelling like dialogue, performance, sound and visual design. How we bring ourselves to the story, through that which inspired our creativity is also a measure of how we tell our stories.
This workshop will help the participants to discuss and develop their ideas, turn them into compelling stories in the genre of their choice or that which the trainers might suggest. The workshop will follow the following structure:
- Breaking down the Story: Small group sessions with the Trainers focusing on breaking the story of several projects– Day 1
- One-on-one sessions with Creative Advisors, providing focused feedback on pilot scripts and season one story arcs – Day 2
- Presentations/Conversations: Pitching, followed by small group feedback sessions – Day 3
Time-Off discussions with the trainers might also look into the Business of Developing film scripts
Applications are now invited from filmmakers from East Africa (3 from each country- Kenya, Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda and Tanzania)
To apply send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A short cover letter introducing yourself and your project: who you are, what your script is about, and how you think the workshop could be helpful to you.
- A synopsis of the screenplay, no more than 100 words.
- The first 3 pages of your original script not the full script.
- Deadline 31st May, 2014
The workshop is funded by the East African community in collaboration with the GIZ.
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German federal enterprise with worldwide operations. GIZ cooperates with the Secretariat of the East African Community to strengthen public relations through improved EAC branding and training measures for East African journalists and film makers on the EAC integration process. In cooperation with EAC and the East African Film Network (EAFN), GIZ supports film trainings and awards for East African films on regional integration at ZIFF 2014.