GEF has a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about education, youth and leadership! (Deadline 5 February 2014.)
Organization: Global Education Fund Kenya Trust
Location: Nairobi, Kenya (Eastlands)
Reports to: Board of Trustees
Global Education Fund Kenya is a non-governmental organization in Kenya whose mission is to empower underprivileged children living in Eastlands Nairobi through increased access to quality secondary education. GEF Kenya offers scholarship support to needy children in Embakasi Constituency, in Nairobi County. A key component of our education program is the Community Leadership Program whose aim is to create opportunities for our scholars to engage more deeply in their communities through internships, leadership training, volunteer work, and skills development…
Scope of work:
The Director should be a dynamic leader with familiarity with the education sector, with school-based and scholarship programs, and with the Eastlands community. S/he will ensure the achievement of GEFK’s vision, strategy and goals and will guide the organization’s further development, resourcing, and growth. S/he will lead the organization, working under the supervision of the Board. S/he must be an enthusiastic believer in the importance of education and of service.
Based in Nairobi, the position will require regular visits to GEFK’s partners and participating schools in Embakasi District and beyond. The Director will develop and implement a fund-raising strategy, build the community outreach, establish and maintain relationships with other in the field, effectively utilize our alumni network, and strengthen GEFK’s connections to the Eastlands community. A three to five year commitment minimum, dependent on yearly renewals, is expected.
- Provide leadership and strategic vision for the organization, in conjunction with the Kenya Board of Trustees and with support from GEF USA and other donors and partners.
- Make tactical decisions for the growth and sustainability of the organization and its mission.
- Establish GEFK within the Eastlands community and link our scholars with local employment, training, and volunteer opportunities. Build our Community Leadership Program through these relationships.
- Work with board, staff and other stakeholders to create and implement annual operating plans based on the 2014-2017 Strategic Plan.
- Manage GEFK’s staff and develop a strong, collaborative team. Lead all team members in executing work plans, deliverables and budgets.
- Identify and seek funding to sustain and expand GEFK’s project portfolio, consistent with GEFK’s mission, vision and strategic plan.
- Ensure efficient and effective program delivery and management of GEF Kenya systems and operations, including collaborative initiatives with other organizations.
- Support robust project monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Track alumni and support them to establish themselves as a network.
- Represent the organization with donors, partners and the general public.
- Build strong partner relations through regular communications and meetings with donors, government officials, and local school and community leaders.
- Ensure sound financial management and good stewardship of donor resources.
- Oversee preparation of regular narrative and financial reports in line with donor requirements and facilitate year-end auditing.
- Maintain regular communication with GEFK’S Board and donors.
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience in education, secondary schooling, community development/service, youth employment, or related field.
- Strong belief in secondary schooling, the quality of education, and the benefits of community engagement and service.
- Familiarity with Eastlands Nairobi communities or interest in learning.
- Experience working with donors and non-profit organizations preferred.
- Experience working with schools, students, parents, and/or communities.
- Understanding of educational initiatives and realities in Kenya.
- Demonstrated project and people management or other relevant leadership.
- Honesty and understanding of sound financial management and program quality and impact.
- Enthusiasm and creativity a bonus.
- Fluency in English and Swahili required.
We look forward to receiving your application (cover letter and CV with three references) by e-mail (gefkenya (at) globaleducationfund.org) before February 5, 2014. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.